Partner, Attorney at Law
tel +371 677 04080
gsm +371 2917 0088
- AML, CTF and Sanction Compliance
- Corporate, M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Banking & Finance, Insurance
- Project financing
- Investments and debt recovery
- Business integrity
- Health Care & Life Science
Maris Liguts is an attorney-at-law having experience of 21 years in providing legal assistance, which he has accrued practicing in leading international law firms of Latvia and being board member in the bank in Latvia, as well as leading Legal and Compliance department of large Scandinavian bank’s branch in Latvia. Maris is Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS).
Maris has extensive experience and knowledge in the fields of banking & finance, project financing, AML and sanction compliance, corporate, M&A and litigation (international arbitration).
Maris on a regular basis assists various domestic and international financial institutions and corporate clients with banking & finance issues and various types of financing transactions, including project finance, syndicated loans, debt restructuring, M&A, and real estate deals. Maris has been involved in licensing financial institutions and the acquisition of qualifying holdings in financial institutions.
Maris has an exceptional expertise in anti-money laundering compliance and the financial regulatory area. During the past few years Maris has consulted local and international banks, payment institutions, other obliged entities and even the Latvian government on issues related to anti-money laundering.
International legal directories Legal 500, Chambers & Partners and IFRL1000 have mentioned Maris among leading experts in the field of banking and finance. Moreover, the legal directories have also recognized the professional experience of Maris in the fields of dispute resolution, corporate and M&A and tax.
Outside legal practice Maris is providing trainings for young football players in the football club JDFS Alberts.
Partner, Attorney-at-law at Law Firm FORT
Management board member, Baltic International Bank SE
Partner, Attorney-at-law at Law Office Deloitte Legal
Associate Partner, Attorney-at-law at Law Office Deloitte Legal
Attorney-at-law at Law Office Tark Grunte Sutkiene (currently – TGS Baltics)
Partner, Attorney-at-law at Law Office Tamberga & Partneri
Member of management committee, Danske Bank AS branch in Latvia
Head of Legal and Compliance, Danske Bank AS branch in Latvia
Project Manager of Danske Bank A/S cross border merger with Sampo Banka AS
Corporate lawyer, Sampo Banka AS (after merger – Danske Bank AS branch in Latvia)
Corporate lawyer, AS SEB banka
Head of Enforcement Unit, Baltic American Enterprise Fund
Mortgage lawyer, Baltic American Enterprise Fund
- 2019 Deloitte University, program – Being A Leader
- 2017-2018 Deloitte, Leadership Development Program
- 2001-2002 Riga Graduate School of Law, Master degree in European and International law (LLM)
- 1996-2001 University of Latvia, Bachelor degree in law (LLB)
- Latvian Bar Association
- Association of Latvian Track and Field Athletics, Member of the Board
Latvian, English, Russian
- Liguts M. Recent AML and Sanctions Developments in Latvia’s Financial Services Sector
CEE Legal matters, 29 April 2020
- Liguts M. Interview – Bilances Juridiskie Padomi, No.8, August 2018
- Liguts M. The elimination of scheme making during auctions, Dienas Bizness, 23 January 2013